Prime Video is Amazon’s subscription streaming service and is completely separate from Amazon Prime. A Prime Video subscription gives you access to thousands of Amazon Originals as well as exclusive films, series, and specials. Subscribers may add live TV channels and rent and buy films or series at extra cost. Prime Video recently began screening selected live Premier League matches to its British subscribers at no extra cost.
Building your own entertainment package from a combination of Prime Video and live TV channels. Prime Video offers access to dozens of channels that you can add to your subscription with a separate charge, including Starz Play, Sundance, and Eurosport.
- Access to hundreds of popular Amazon Original series
- Add live TV with Amazon Channels
- Live Premier League, tennis, and Olympics
- Offline viewing is limited unless you pay extra to rent or buy titles
- Some channels not offered in UK, e.g. no HBO or Showtime
To get live TV, just add your favourite channels from a selection of dozens of Amazon Channels to your Prime Video subscription. Here are some of the top channels on offer.
- Starz Play: Original series and movies
- Hayu: More than 200 reality shows, including Keeping Up With the Kardashians
- itv Hub+: All the latest ad-free episodes from itv
- Eurosport: Live sport from around the world, including tennis grand slams and the Olympics.
- Discovery: Adventure, survival, nature, and science docs
Amazon doesn’t state exactly how many films and programmes it offers on Prime Video, although the number is clearly in the thousands. Prime Video allows unlimited streaming from all genres, including Amazon Original series, exclusive shows, films, documentaries, comedy, specials, and kids shows. The majority of shows come from America, although there is a growing number of programmes from Britain.
Here’s a brief list of some of the most popular Amazon Prime original series:
- Electric Dreams
- Mozart in the Jungle
- One Mississippi
- Red Oaks
- Sneaky Pete
- The Grand Tour
- The Man in the High Castle
- The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel
- The Tick
To stream Prime Video, simply subscribe and login from any of the hundreds of compatible media devices.
- Smart TVs
- Blu-ray players
- Set-top boxes (Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield)
- Amazon Fire TV
- Fire TV Stick
- Game consoles (PlayStation, Xbox, Wii)
- Android devices (Prime Video app for Android phones and tablets)
- iOS devices (Prime Video app for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch)
- Fire phone
- Fire tablets
Selected Prime Video titles are available for download, although the time period you have to view downloads varies by title. Separately, anyone can rent or buy titles for download through Amazon Prime, regardless of whether you have a Prime Video account. The following devices are compatible with Amazon Prime rentals and purchases:
- Fire tablets (except Kindle Fire 1st Generation)
- Fire phone
- Android phones and tablets
- iOS devices
Amazon UK offers Prime Video and Amazon Channels throughout the United Kingdom. We are not aware of any viewing restrictions within the UK.
Amazon’s not exactly known for its customer service, and this is true for Prime Video as well. If you have issues with Prime Video, whether they be related to billing or technical matters, just contact customer service through the Contact Us section of the Prime Video website. You’ll need to go through an automated system, answer some questions, and the follow the prompts to receive a written response or (hopefully) speak to a customer service rep.
Prime Video is typical Amazon: it blows away most of the competition by virtue being bigger. The catch here is that it’s one of the most expensive streaming services, if we’re purely comparing services that offer streaming from a video library. Depending how much you’re willing to spend, you can use Amazon to build the equivalent of a cable package plus streaming: with dozens of channels from Amazon Channels and thousands of films and series from Prime Video.